1996 Dodge Intrepid engine dies while driving

I have a 1996 dodge intrepid 3.3 liter. The car will quit running as if I turned the switch off when driving. It starts back up fine and it may be days or mins. before this happens again. The check engine light does not come on before during or after this. I would like to get your suggestions before i go spend 100s of dollars trying this or that to solve the problem. Thanks.

TSB 18-33-95 Erroneous Misfire OBDII DTC Codes – Software Update

Keywords:

6 thoughts on “1996 Dodge Intrepid engine dies while driving”

1. The first thing I would do is to have the codes checked, this can be done for free at Autozone. Then I would go from there. Post back the codes when you get them.

Just because the light isn’t on, doesn’t mean it hasn’t stored codes….

2. Thanks for the info. I took the car to Advance and was told that if the check engine light was nnot on they could check the computer. When asked why they said it would not have any codes on it?
    My undestanding was not unlike yours, I thought it had all the codes on it and the light would come on when it reconised the code was interupted? I was told by them it could be the TPS (Throtle possition sensor) I unpluged this while the car was running at idle it did not shut down no did the check light come on?

3. I have a 1998 dodge intrepid I replaced THE SPARK PLUGS IN IT AND ITS STILL MISFIREING ON CYLINDER THREE WHEN THEY REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS THEY SAID THAT IT HAD OIL IN THE CYLINDER THAT IS MISFIREING IS THERE ANY KIND OF TEST THAT CAN TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG AND NARROW IT DOWN?

4. You can have a compression test done first. If the cylinder has compression you will want to make sure you are getting injector pulse, fuel and spark on that cylinder.

Something we do from time to time is swap an injector from a known good cylinder to the bad cylinder and see if the problem follows the injector or stays on the bad cylinder…. same can be done with spark plugs and wires, coils etc. If the problem moves with the parts you swapped then you know it is a bad part…

Comments are closed.