Repairing a broken headlamp connector

The 9006/H4 low beam bulb seemingly burned out the other day on my wife’s 2006 Sienna so I pulled the plug off and noticed that some of the brown colored plastic had broken away around one of the connector spades. I tried switching out the good bulb and it also did not work so I now surmise that the connector plug is no longer any good. Is this something I can pick up at the dealer and fix myself?

or must I take it in to a Toyota dealer for repair. Seems like it would be a simple fix.

6 thoughts on “Repairing a broken headlamp connector”

1. If you have any mechanical experience with wiring this can be repaired yourself with ease. The part can be picked up at any Auto parts store. In fact they make a Low temp socket replacement made by DOORMAN part#85813 that can be also be ordered online from RockAuto(dot)com for just $3.22, doesn’t get any better that that.

2. Sir,
    Thanks for the info. I have a little mechanical experience. How do I re-connect the new connector to the old wire harness? You can’t just cut the two wires, right?

3. The New Connector comes with a “pigtail”.
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-10772-85813.aspx

This means it has 2 new wires a few inches long so you can simply cut off the old connector wires close to the old connector and splice the new wires to the old harness. I recommend soldering the new wires to the old and then wrapping them with black electrical tape.

Some technicians prefer solder-less connectors with shrink wrap ends, those are OK, but can cause resistance and that can create heat, which is what we are trying to get away from in the first place.

4. One last question. How will I know which wire should be spliced with which wire on the existing harness? The harness wire colors may differ from the Doorman part.

5. There is only two wires… Hard to mess that up if you do one wire at a time. Sounds like this might be too big of a job for you to handle. You might want to consider asking a neighbor with mechanical skills to help.

Comments are closed.