2002 Ford Taurus SES

My car has been having a lot of electrical problems. My first issue are my locks. I will lock my car and go back to it an hour later and it’s unlocked. Granted it is very cold outside and I’ve heard that this issue can be caused by cold weather, I still don’t want to risk someone breaking in to my car. My second problem is my door ajar light being on when my doors are closed. My third problem is something that happened two days ago, while I was driving. I pulled up to a stop light and my battery died. I got someone to jump start my car for me, but now every time I start my car, the fuse for my brake lights blows. I have replaced it twice already, but as soon as I start my car after I replaced it, it blows again. I don’t know if all of these problems are linked, but I am hoping it won’t be too expensive to get these all repaired.

6 thoughts on “2002 Ford Taurus SES”

1. The door lock issue and the door ajar issue are most commonly from failing/failed door latch assemblies. And in most cases it causes the dome light to stay on and drains the battery. This would be the first thing I would have replaced.

As for the brake light fuse blowing, this would be a separate issue. The fuse blows because you have a short in the circuit. If it has be recently wrecked, check that area first. If not, you may have a faulty brake light switch. What is the Fuse Number that keeps blowing? I will look up the circuit and dig deeper.

2. Fuse 17 provides power directly to the Brake Pedal Position switch (located at the upper front side of the brake pedal).

I would try this:
    Disconnect the brake pedal switch. Install a new fuse. Start the car, if it still blows the fuse. You have a short in the fuse block or the wires going from the fuse block to the brake switch. Trace wiring and repair as needed.

Next remove the switch and test its operation with a multi-meter.(check for short with continuity and for proper function. If it tests bad, replace it. If it tests good(probably not) then you will need to trace the wiring going from the brake switch to the following: PCM, Brake Shift interlock switch, High Mounted stop light, Multi-function switch(turn signal lever) and onto the brake lights themselves.

Use this wiring diagram to help trace down the issue:
    2002 Ford Taurus Exterior Lighting

3. I didn’t mean to post that again, sorry. What I meant to put is I don’t have a brake pedal position switch, i think that is an optional feature that my car is not equipped with.

4. stop lamp and the speed control deactivating switch = Brake Pedal Switch

You also have a brake pedal Control switch, this is not the one we are worried about as it is the one the controls the pedal height.

Brake Pedal Position (BPP) Switch

Removal and Installation

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
    Remove the BPP switch.
    1.Disconnect the electrical connector.
    2.Remove the self-locking pin.
    3.Remove the BPP switch from the brake master cylinder push rod.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Comments are closed.