Kit car w/ford 5 liter engine – 1980ish

Over heats. I fill the system and then top-off the radiator every day. The next day, I top itoff again and again and again, but there is no leakage on the ground. I have topped it off for 5 weeks straight and still cannot seem to fill it all the way. It over heats to the point that it runs out of collant

Keywords:

1 thought on “Kit car w/ford 5 liter engine – 1980ish”

1. Couple of things come to mind. First, make sure you have a thermostat in it. Second, since you have coolant disappearing, Perform a coolant system pressure test to make certain you have no external coolant leaks(repair as needed).

If you have no external leaks and you see the pressure drop during the coolant test, then you need to consider an internal leak. Start by removing the spark plugs and see if coolant comes out one of them. (repair as needed).

Use a good cooling fan and SHROUD!

Example. I installed an aftermarket electric cooling fan on a 5.0 engine and did not use a fan shroud on a 1995 mustang GT. Would overheat in just about any kind of traffic. Ended going back to the stock electric fan that comes mounted to a shroud. Kept it cool and never overheated again.

Comments are closed.