2004 ford explorer sporttrac

Have 2004 ford exployer spt.trac .problem with trans. Start out fine excell to 25 -30 trans makes noise , trans start slipping, le. St off excell and excell again trans takes hold and goes on down the road  ANY ANSWERS OUT THERE ?

9 thoughts on “2004 ford explorer sporttrac”

1. I thank you for your help! I was mistaken about the noise there is none, When this happens it feels like trans is trying to shift like there is a gear missing then it shifts and goes on down the road. Is it the speed sensor or shift sol?

2. From your last description, it sounds like the VSS is telling the transmission to shift when it should but the shift solenoid is being lazy or sticking a bit.

If you haven’t changed the transmission fluid and filter, it might be a good time to do so. Make sure to use the Mercon V fluid when refilling.

If the fluid is burnt looking, it is still possible for the internal clutches to be worn and a rebuild would be needed.

Since it seems to shift in the other gears just fine, I would rule out the Electronic pressure control solenoid. But the shift solenoids may be sticking and or lazy. It is possible that replacing them may be needed.
    Shift Solenoid location diagram

Transmission Troubleshooting

3. Thanks for your help! Are all 4 shift solenoids internal? What is the solenoid on the drivers side of trannie out side ?

4. Thanks again!!!!! Do I have to replace all 4 sol. Or is there a way to fix the problem, If you would talk me through with what I have to do to get this monkey of my back I would be in debt to you.

5. If you haven’t changed the transmission fluid and filter, it might be a good time to do so. Make sure to use the Mercon V fluid when refilling. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO FIRST!

If the fluid is burnt looking, it is still possible for the internal clutches to be worn and a rebuild would be needed.

Comments are closed.