2007 Silverado Classic, 4.8 Liter

I have a 2007 Silverado; I have been plagued with OBDII code P0332 Knock Sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2) for a couple of years. I got the parts from Rock Auto.com and replaced both sensors and the senor wiring harness. After six months of driving the P0332 came back; I have taken it to a dealer shop twice and they can’t isolate the problem. So I took it to an independent repair shop, they replaced the bank 2 sensor and the P0332 code went away, after about 40 miles of driving, the ENG light came back on and now I’m getting a code P0327 (Bank 1, Sensor 1). I took it back to the shop and they replaced the bank 1 sensor. The next day the ENG light came back on and I’m still getting code P0327 (Bank 1, Sensor 1). Each time I take it back to the shop they want to charge me for repairs. I have invested over 1200 bucks trying to fix this issue, does anyone have any ideals, this dam truck is breaking my bank.

Also, This whole thing started when I steamed cleaned my engine; when I initially did the repairs I put a bead of High Temp RTV round the top edge of the rubber boot on the wiring leads to keep water out, could this have effected the function of the Knock Sensors?

5 thoughts on “2007 Silverado Classic, 4.8 Liter”

1. could this have effected the function of the Knock Sensors?
    Yes. Moisture and heat lead to corrosion that cause electrical mishaps. Poor connectivity in the connections or the wiring or a faulty sensor.

The P0327 code means that the Knock Sensor is not working properly. Problems with the knock sensor will not cause an engine performance problems. Replacing the knock sensor usually takes care of the problem.

When is the code detected?
    When an engine operates, the Powertrain Control System (PCM) learns the minimum and maximum frequency of the noise the engine produces. When the PCM determines that this frequency is less than or greater than the expected amount, a knock sensor code will set.

P0332 Chevrolet – Knock Sensor 2 Circuit
    Possible causes
    – Faulty knock sensor
    – Knock sensor circuit poor electrical connection
    – Knock sensor harness is open or shorted
    – Faulty Powertrain Control System (PCM)
    When is the code detected?
    When the Powertrain Control System (PCM) determines that this frequency is less than or greater than the expected amount, a knock sensor code will set.
    ————————————————————————————————————————-

P0327 Chevrolet – Knock Sensor Circuit Low Input
    Possible causes
    – Faulty knock sensor
    – Knock sensor circuit poor electrical connection
    – Knock sensor harness is open or shorted
    – Faulty Powertrain Control System (PCM)

2. Could applying High Temp RTV round the top edge of the rubber boot on the wiring leads to keep water out effect the function of the Knock Sensors?

Probably not unless it managed to get into the contacts themselves and create a poor connection. This connection point would be the first place I would look and perform a continuity test on the connections and wiring.

How to use a Multi-meter

3. How do you check to see if you have a Faulty Powertrain Control System (PCM)?

In this case, if everything else in the system checks out, it is the only thing left in the system that could be the root of the issue and therefore is determined as a bad part and should be replaced as per the diagnostic chart.

Comments are closed.