1989 Firebird 305 5.0L TBI

My car is having some troubles, dash lights and everything come on but when i go to turn the key there is nothing, not even clicking. temperature gauge goes all the way up as the key is in the start position then goes back down as soon as i let off. Yesterday this problem was solved when my friend pushed the (side post) Positive terminal into the battery as i stared the car then i bought a new bolt that holds the wire to the terminal because it was stripped and wouldn’t get very tight.. Car then started up fine. (May have been fluke) because today it happend again, turn key lights come on but nothing when trying to start. Then i cycled the key twice, and tried starting several times on 2nd cycle, the second time trying to start it on that cycle it started. repeated this pattern a couple of times. removed battery and cleaned terminals, put it back in and now nothing is working

1 thought on “1989 Firebird 305 5.0L TBI”

1. Clean Battery connections are important. If there was a lot of corrosion, you may need to check the cables to make sure they are not corroded inside. Go back to what you were last working on and double check your work. If you get your dash lights back working and it still will not turn over, check for battery voltage at the “S” terminal on the starter while the key is held in the “START” position. If you have power, replace the starter. No power, trace and repair the wiring.

Comments are closed.