Front Wipers 1999 Ford Explorer

1999 Ford ExplorerI cant get my wipers to stop unless I pull the fuse. I replaced the multi switch and when I put the new one in, when put on high the washer fluid would start to spray. I put the old multi switch in another truck 1997 explorer it worked fine. Also changed the front plastic part of the motor (not exactly sure what it is called). Checked the wiring under dash and the wiring harness going to the motor. All working properly but there is a teal wire that I cant get any reading off of with my light tester. And the wire goes to the power distribution box with a BUNCH of other wires and cant sift through.

RESPONSE

Looking at the wiring diagram, I would lean toward a relay sticking and back feeding. Most likely the WIPER RUN RELAY.

Front Wipers /Washer Wiring Diagram 1999 Ford Explorer

1999-ford-explorer-wiper-washer-front-wiper-washer-circuit-1-of-1

Wipers and Washers—Front

The wiper system has four different operating modes: off mode, low speed mode, high speed mode, and interval mode.

In the off mode, there is no windshield wiper motor activity, and the windshield wiper motor is in the PARK position.

In the low speed mode, the windshield wiper motor is set to a low speed setting. The windshield wiper hi/lo relay is deactivated, while the windshield wiper run/park relay is activated.

In the high speed mode, the windshield wiper motor is set to a high speed setting. The windshield wiper hi/lo relay and the windshield wiper run/park relay are both activated.

In the interval mode, the windshield wiper motor is set to a low speed setting with the windshield wiper hi/lo relay deactivated. The windshield wiper run/park relay is activated at the beginning of each wipe and deactivated when the windshield wiper motor park switch reaches the RUN position.

The permanent magnet three-brush windshield wiper motor allows selection of either low or high speed, when selected the steering column mounted multi-function switch (13K359). When the multi-function switch is in the LOW position, the common brush and low speed brush are used. When the multi-function switch is in the HIGH position, current bypasses part of the armature winding to the high speed brush. When the multi-function switch is moved to the off position, the windshield wiper motor will continue to run at low speed until the windshield wipers (17500) park.

When the multi-function switch is in the interval (INT) position, the windshield wipers will make a single sweep followed by a pause. The control knob on the end of the multi-function switch adjusts the pause from approximately 1-20 seconds.

Vehicles equipped with a generic electronic module (GEM) are available with the speed-dependant interval wiper feature. During the interval mode, the delay between successive wipes will decrease with higher vehicle speed to compensate for increased water on the windshield glass. This feature will relieve the operator from constantly switching between interval settings.

Dwell Intervals for Each Switch State
Delay/Wash Switch StateDwell Interval
0-10 MPH65 MPH and Above
1 (Long)1818
7 (Short)10

If the washer switch is pressed between 100 ms and 300 ms, with the mode switch in the OFF position, the wiper system will provide one low speed wipe with no wash.

To engage the windshield washer, push the knob of the multi-function switch toward the steering column (3C529). When the multi-function switch is in the OFF or INT position, the windshield wipers will run as long as the knob is depressed up to 10 seconds. When the knob is released, the washer will stop immediately, but the windshield wipers will continue to run for two to three sweeps, then return to their previous set operation. Washer engagement does not affect windshield wiper operation when the multi-function switch is in the LOW or HIGH position, but the washer will be deactivated if the knob is held greater than 10 seconds.

Feature inputs:

• Ignition switch RUN position: (battery potential on both RUN and RUN/ACC inputs).
  • Ignition switch ACC position: (battery potential on RUN/ACC input only).
  • Wiper switch position: (different resistance for each mode; see Wiper Switch Resistance Values table).
  • Interval Delay/Wash switch position: (different resistance for each mode; See Interval Delay/Wash Switch Resistance Values table).
  • Windshield wiper motor park switch: (ground for PARK position and battery potential for RUN position).

Feature outputs:

• Windshield wiper hi/lo relay control: (ground to activate and open circuit to deactivate.)
  • Windshield wiper run/park relay control: (ground to activate and open circuit to deactivate.)
  • Washer pump relay control: (ground to activate and open circuit to deactivate.)