immobilizer 2003 Honda Pilot

2003 Honda PilotMy ignition switch cylinder went out. So I went and bought the new part.I also bought a new key fob to go with my car. If I replace the ignition switch, would I need to program the key fob with the old key or the new key?

RESPONSE

Which ever key starts the car is the one I would use.

Immobilizer System Description

The vehicle is equipped with an immobilizer system that will disable the vehicle unless the proper ignition key is used.

This system consists of a transponder located in the ignition key, an immobilizer control unit-receiver, an indicator, and the PCM.

When the key is inserted in the ignition switch and turned to the (II) position, the immobilizer control unit-receiver sends power to the transponder in the ignition key. The transponder then sends a coded signal back through the immobilizer control unit-receiver to the PCM.

Immobilizer

• When the proper key has been used, the immobilizer indicator will come on for about 2 seconds, then go off.
  • If the wrong key has been used whose code was not received or recognized by the unit, the indicator will come on for about 2 seconds. Then it will blink until the ignition switch is turned OFF.
  • If the ignition switch is turned OFF, the indicator will blink for about 5 seconds to signal that the unit has been set correctly. Then the indicator will go off.
  • When the customer has lost his key, and cannot start the engine, contact Honda Customer Relations.