1992 Suzuki Sidekick radiator low on coolant

Suzuki Sidekick

I had the timing belt changed via an auto mechanic on my 1992 Suzuki Sidekick 2WD JS 16Valve. The radiator has always had fluid in it. When I got it back it had fluid only in the reservoir. I told the mechanic and put fluid in it and drove it back, he said it was a faulty radiator cap. I bought a new one. He said the reservoir holds all the fluid the radiator needs.

I have had this car since it was new and it always had fluid in the radiator. (I replaced it with a brand new radiator approx. 3 years ago.). I am not sure why the radiator is not keeping coolant in it. I am a 63 year old woman and my knowledge of this area is limited. Any ideas ? My mechanic is on vacation or I would call him. Thank you

The reservoir is more like a reserve tank. If the coolant in the radiator becomes low it will draw from it.

If the radiator is low then it should be filled along with the reservoir tank. Then let the engine run for a few minutes to assist in purging any air from the cooling system. Allow the engine to cool and remove the radiator cap and top off.

Drive it for a few days and check the coolant level in the radiator often to make sure there is no leak. If the coolant level continues to go down repeatedly, you will need to have the cooling system pressure tested to locate the leak. Once the leak is located, have it repaired.

How to fill the Cooling System

NOTE: The vehicle must be parked on level ground when filling the cooling system.

1. Install the radiator drain plug, then fill the radiator with the proper coolant and install the radiator cap. When installing the radiator cap, ensure that it is fully tightened.
  2. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 2–3 minutes to purge air from the cooling system, then turn the engine OFF.
  3. Remove the radiator cap and, if necessary, add coolant to the radiator until the coolant level is at the base of the fill neck.
  4. Inspect the coolant level in the reserve tank and, if necessary, add coolant to bring the level in the tank to the FULL mark.
Keywords: