Headlight Aiming Chevrolet Impala – 2005

2005 Chevy Impala

I’ve taken my car to a million mechanics (including the dealership) and there’s some electrical problem causing my low beams not to work. I adjusted my high beams so they point as low as possible. Is this ok? Will I still blind people?

Of course the best course of action would be to fix the issue. (most common cause would be the Multi-function switch) I would think any headlights are better than getting a ticket for driving without them. I’m sure it won’t take to many test drives at night to find out what oncoming drivers think about your headlight adjustment.

As far as blinding people with your high beams, I can understand your concerns.

Headlight Aiming

Headlight aim has been preset at the factory and should need no further adjustment.

However, if your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the headlight aim may be affected. Aim adjustment to the low-beam headlights may be necessary if it is difficult to see the lane markers (for horizontal aim), or if oncoming drivers flash their high-beam headlamps at you (for vertical aim).

If you believe your headlights need to be re-aimed, it is recommend that you take the vehicle to your dealer for service.

Source – Chilton