Single click and nothing else 1962 Lincoln Continental

1962 Lincoln Continental

Single click and nothing else

I have a 1962 Lincoln Continental hardtop with a 430. It was running fine until a week ago. Suddenly, out of nowhere, when you turn on the ignition, there’s a single click and nothing else. This click is coming from the external starter motor relay. I replaced the relay and I’m getting exactly the same thing. The battery is brand new and fully charged. When I turn the ignition switch, the voltage across the battery terminals drops to 12.05. So it can’t be the battery. There’s a 0.07 volt drop between the positive battery terminal and the post on the starter regardless of whether the ignition switch is turned or not. There’s a 0.00 volt drop (so no drop at all) between the negative post of the battery and the starter motor housing when the ignition is off and a 0.03 volt drop when the ignition is engaged. So if my understanding is correct, there’s no significant voltage drop. Is the starter motor broken?

Replacing the Starter motor would be the fix. This is of course after you confirm the wiring is good from the Starter solenoid to the Starter along with the connections.

Starter Motor Brush Replacement

1. Remove the starter from the engine.
  2. Remove the starter drive plunger lever cover and gasket.
  3. Loosen and remove the brush cover band and remove the brushes from their holder.
  4. Remove the two through-bolts from the starter frame.
  5. Separate the drive end housing, starter frame and brush end plate assemblies.
  6. Remove the starter drive plunger lever and pivot pin, and remove the armature.
  7. Remove the ground brush retaining screws from the frame and remove the brushes.
  8. Cut the insulated brush leads from the field coils, as close to the field connection point as possible.
  9. Clean and inspect the starter motor.
  10. Replace the brush end plate if the insulator between the field brush holder and the end plate is cracked or broken.
  11. Position the new insulated field brush leads on the field coil connection. Position and crimp the clip provided with the brushes to hold the brush leads to the connection. Solder the lead, clip, and connection together using resin core solder. Use a 300 watt soldering iron.
  12. Install the ground brush leads to the frame with the retaining screws.
  13. Install the starter drive plunger lever and pivot pin, and install the armature.
  14. Assemble the drive end housing, starter frame and brush end plate assemblies.
  15. Install the two through-bolts in the starter frame. Tighten the through-bolts to 55-75 inch lbs. (6.2-8.5 Nm).
  16. Install the brushes in their holders and install the brush cover band.
  17. Install the starter drive plunger lever cover and gasket.
  18. Install the starter on the engine as previously outlined.

1 thought on “Single click and nothing else 1962 Lincoln Continental”

1. Thanks for the help. Turned out to be a broken ceramic isolating washer on the inside of the starter causing a short from the post of the starter to the body of the starter. This, in turn, shorted the battery which had 2 almost empty cells as a result of constantly trying to start the car.

Comments are closed.