When I close my door  none of the gauges work 2007 Chevy Impala LS

2007 Chevy Impala

I hit a super pothole in the street, it has done something to the electric system in the car. when my car door is open, all of my panel gauges work correctly. When I close my door  none of the gauges work and a message pops up constantly telling me my door is open. It also drains my battery in a couple hours. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it ?

Certainly has to do with the electrical system. Most likely an issue with the door jam button. But may not be limited to just that. In fact it is quite common for the wiring harness that runs between the door and the body to develop an issue. This is in part do to the fact that the drivers door gets opened and closed more often then the other doors. Add in some age on top of that and the wiring becomes brittle.

First look at the wiring harness near the door jam for damage. Next look for shorted and open wiring. Since everything seems to work when the door is open you will need to wiggle the wiring during testing to get the best results.