Code P0324 and P0496 on my 2013 Chevy Cruze

2011 Chevy Cruze

I drive a 2013 Chevy Cruze. My check engine light came on. The codes are P0324 and two instances of P0496. Is it possible for me to buy a part and replace it myself, or will I have to take it to a shop?

The two codes are not related. They are completely separate systems. So each code will need to be diagnosed separately. With that in mind I try to approach the issues by looking for anything that might be in common with both codes. And looking my first thoughts are bad fuel. Having contaminated or poor grade fuel would cause the knock sensor to set a code and may also cause a EVAP Code.

What can I do?

Drive the vehicle easy until the fuel tank is below 1/4 tank. Then at a different fueling station, fill up with high octane. This will mix with what is left in the tank and bring down the Octane level in the process. So make sure to chose the highest octane available. It will then take 10 to 20 miles for the fuel to mix and flow through the already full fuel filter. At that point you can clear the codes and test drive to see if the light comes back on.

Should the check engine codes reappear you will need to approach each code separately.

Chevy Code P0324

Code P0324 Knock Sensor Control Sensor Error

The knock sensors enable the engine control module(ECM) to control the ignition timing for the best possible performance while protecting the engine from potentially damaging levels of detonation. The knock sensors produce an alternating current (AC) voltage signal that varies depending on the on the vibration level during engine operation. The ECM adjusts the spark timing based on amplitude and the frequency of the two knock sensor signals. The ECM receives the two knock sensor signals through 2-isolated circuits. The ECM learns a minimum knock sensor noise level for all of the engine speed ranges. The ECM monitors for a normal knock sensor signal. The ECM monitors the two internal knock sensor processors by verifying a 20KHz signal generated on the signal circuits is detected on the sensors’ low reference circuits.

Action taken when Code P0324 is set

The ignition timing is retarded to reduce the potential of engine damaging spark knock.

Chevy Code P0496

Code P0496 EVAP System High Purge Flow