Battery lights, ABS, brake light comes on and then car stalls

2000 VW Jetta 2.0

Replaced alternator and battery . After driving it battery lights , abs, brake light comes on and then car stalls . Have to jump start car. Any suggestions on what could be the cause. It is a 2000 VW Jetta 2.0 manual 5 spd.

Got yourself a good one. Not really sure off the top of my head. Not very common of your model VW to act this way. But let me take a shot at it anyway. I am thinking the stalling is not mechanical or sensor related because you didn’t mention the check engine light being on. If it was on, that would be the first place to look. So the ABS and Brake light come on when they are not functioning. This can be from low battery voltage. The battery light comes on when the battery is not getting charged being the same as low voltage. And the car stalling would definitely happen as the computer requires enough voltage to operate. Also explain why you need to jump start it. Not enough juice and the battery isn’t being charged properly.

In-line Fuse

So for some Your battery is not getting enough charge from the alternator. This could be for several reasons. But my gut is now thinking “why did you need to replace the battery and alternator to begin with?”. Straight to the that thought. If the in-line battery fuse was blown it would not allow the battery to receive a charge from the alternator. So check that fuse for sure.

Battery Connections

Another cause could be a poor connection to and from the alternator and battery. Corrosion at the battery cable ends or around the battery. Or internal corrosion inside the battery cables are possible. And just plain forgetting to hook up a wire can cause this.