Front Shock Replacement 2001 Mercury Marquis LS

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

Replacing front shocks. What I see on the internet looks nothing like my car. On my car the shock is inside the coil. I can’t get the shock loose so I have to cut it out. I want to make sure that the shocks I bought will work with what looks like a coilover. Thanks.

Your Mercury Grand Marquis requires specific shock absorbers that came w/ Handling Package; w/ Performance Package; w/o Police Package; w/o Taxi Package; Recommended OE Application -Specific Replacement;w/o Handling Package; w/o Performance Package.

2001 mercury marquis front shocks

Front Shock Removal & Installation

CAUTION

If the vehicle is equipped with air suspension, the electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the luggage compartment. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

1. If equipped with air suspension, the air suspension switch, located on the right-hand side of the luggage compartment, must be turned to the OFF position before raising the vehicle.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:
  • Nut, washer and bushing from the upper end of the shock absorber
  • 2 bolts retaining the shock absorber to the lower control arm
  • Shock absorber

To install:

1. Prior to installation, prime the new shock absorber. Fully extend the shock absorber while in the right side up (installed) position. Turn the shock absorber upside down and fully compress it. Repeat the procedure at least 3 times to purge any air trapped in the shock absorber.
  2. Install or connect the following:
  • New bushing and washer on the stud on the top of the new shock absorber and position the unit inside the front coil spring
  • 2 lower retaining bolts and tighten them to 10–12 ft lbs. (13–17 Nm). -New bushing and washer on the shock absorber top stud
  • New retaining nut. Tighten the retaining nut to 25–34 ft. lbs. (34–46 Nm).
  1. If equipped with air suspension, turn the air suspension switch to the ON position.

Leave a Reply