GM Low brake fluid warning light RECALL – How soon should I get it fixed?

2024 chevy silverado recall

If you haven’t heard already, GMThe agency said that without the warning light, a vehicle may be driven with low brake fluid, which can reduce braking performance and increase the risk of a crash. is recalling more than 448,000 of its trucks and SUV’s. The reason for the recall is related to the electronic brake control module software. The software “may” fail to display a warning light when loss of brake fluid takes place.

Source: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said 09/20/2024 that the recall includes certain 2023-2024 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESVs, 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2023-2024 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban 1500, 2023 GMC Sierra 1500, 2023-2024 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL models

The NHTSA has stated a vehicle can be driven with low brake fluid but doing so can reduce the braking performance and increase the risk of a crash.

A free software update will be provided to vehicle owners.

Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed Oct. 28. Vehicle owners can contact GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782, Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, or Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006.

Take notice that this is a software issue. That means it was programed from day one to function in this manner. Fortunately the manufacturer is taking care of this issue on their dime right. Yeah, I’m certain that the software update will be free. However, I would be interested in knowing just how many recalled vehicles are brought in and then told it needs 1k or more worth of repairs on your dime. “while we were looking at your vehicle we noticed”

These are all fairly new vehicle and should all be under warranty. Do not let the dealer try and sell you any brake parts you don’t need/want.

Leave a Reply