volvo 1989 760 turbo wagon won’t start.

I am having problems with both of my Volvos, a 1989 760 turbo wagon which I just bought, and a 1990 740 turbo wagon that I have owned for several years. The 760 was well maintained and has 202,000 miles. It ran perfectly for the month I have owned it. Then, last night, I drove it to the post office, and turned it off. Five minutes later, I went to leave, and it wouldn’t start. It cranks over, strong battery, good fuel pressure, power to the coil, but no spark. My boyfriend works on cars, but can’t figure out where to look next.
In a stroke of great timing and coincidence, the 740, which has frequently been used for my newspaper delivery business, has begun to sputter and stall after driving fine the first 20-60 minutes. It gets progressively worse until it can barely go a few yards, and finally, fails to start until it has rested for a few hours, when the cycle repeats itself.
I am desperate to get at least one of these cars back on the road ASAP so I don’t lose my job.

1 thought on “volvo 1989 760 turbo wagon won’t start.”

1. Sounds like the Catalytic converter is clogged on the 740. Have a back pressure test done to confirm this.

Sounds like a bad crank sensor or computer on the 760. assuming there isn’t an aftermarket alarm system in play.

Comments are closed.