1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo

On Friday evening my Jeep started making this noise like the wheel on wheel of fortune spinning (sorry but best way to explain it). Was told that it was a lifter knocking so oil was checked and 1 quart was added which didn’t help at all. 13hrs later the noise got a little louder and the steering wheel shook hard for a split second and it died. It will not start back or attempt to even turn over. When you turn the key it clicks one time and nothing. Today for starters the oil was drained and it had water in it as did the oil pan and where you put oil into your vehicle there was lots of oil deposit. Thinking it was a cracked head they were checked and all is good. So maybe the rocker arm broke and threw a rod…all of that is fine. Mechanic told me to take out spark plugs and if there was water in the cylinders and on top of the pistons then that would lock up the motor….everything’s fine. So he told us to try and turn the motor by hand and if it turned then it wasn’t locked up. It will turn but very very little and it is very very hard to turn. ANY SUGGESTIONS on what to try next would be GREAT. I am a home health nurse that needs my vehicle, this is my only vehicle and as a single mom cant afford anything else. PLEASE HHHEEELLLLPPPPP!!! Thank you!

1 thought on “1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo”

1. The Mechanic that told you to see if the engine will turn over by hand was sending you in the right direction.

You should re-due this test. First remove all the spark plugs as this will relieve the compression constraints of the engine and make it much easier to turn over by hand. Next, try to turn the engine over with the key with the spark plugs still out. If this still does not work. Try turning it over by hand, meaning with the use of a socket and ratchet.

If the engine can not be turned over 360 degrees then the engine is locked up and there is no cheap fix. You are looking at replacing the engine or trading the car in.

Comments are closed.